Explain the benefits of a compliance program and share resources with your team.
We always share the importance of compliance plans; however, here are a few of the benefits:
- More accurate payment of claims
- Fewer billing mistakes
- Improved documentation and more accurate coding
- Less chance of violating self-referral and anti-kickback statutes.
Here is a breakdown of how this helps you:
- Improved documentation, fewer billing mistakes, and accurate coding/payments = Possible increased return on investment for your practice.
- Less chance of violating self-referral and anti-kickback statutes = Public views you as an esteemed medical/dental professional that protects the practice and patients.
Last, to truly understand the benefits, you must know where to get the proper resources to assist you.
The following locations have great compliance information, such as:
- OIG Website
- Compliance Resource Portal
- Compliance Guidance
- Work Plan
- Advisory Opinions
- Health Care Fraud and Abuse Control Program (HCFAC) Report
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Commercial insurance companies
- Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Professional organizations (i.e., HCCA, AAPC, AHIMA)
- Media (i.e., Becker’s Healthcare, Medical Economics)
In every interaction with your staff, the goal is to explain the benefits and the “why.”
Remember, when they understand the “why,” they will more likely commit to your practice compliance vision.
**The opinions and observations from the group/author are not a promise to exempt your practice from fines and penalties. Research, modify, and tailor the advice to fit your specialty.